Friday, August 1, 2008

*falls over laughing*

So, a while back, as a joke, I joined an online dating site called OKCupid. It's free and the gimmick is that by answering user-generated questions, you get matched with other users. So, supposedly, your fate is in your own hands. Or something like that.
Side note: I realize everyone says they joined online dating services as a joke, but I was working on an article for my magazine at the time, which was sparked by the fact that eHarmony will reject you if you're gay. Or not religious enough. Yeah. So I was looking into other sites that offered more options. For the record, on Chemistry.com, you can be gay, but you can't be bisexual. On OKCupid, you can be gay, straight, or bi, and you can be already in a relationship and still looking for partners, in which case it will list your orientation and "available" instead of "single."

Anyways, I periodically check it, and while I was coming down off the crazy amount of cold meds I've been on for the past three days, I was updating my profile, which I guess means I can receive instant messages. (Although they call them "intimate messages." Aw. How cute.) Apparently I missed one, so it was sent to me as a message in my inbox. Here is the text of the message in its entirety:

you look kinda exotic to me. i do want to see you naked. write back if you're interested.


And that was it. No name, no introduction. My profile says nothing about anyone seeing me naked, or even about BEING naked. I talk about my orientation and the kind of work I do, but that's it. So I'm not sure where the "i DO want to see you naked" as if I'd asked a question comes from.

Also, although it doesn't particularly make a difference, the sender is from Buenos Aires, Argentina. And actually, I probably would have been less put off my the message had he written it in Spanish.

Needless to say, I'm not writing back. I just think it's hilarious how little effort people seem to think it takes. And here's the catch: I'm easy. I know it, I own it. But come on, dude. You have to work a teeny bit harder than that. (Or, *gasp* could it be that I'm raising my standards? eeep. Who would have guessed.)

In other funny OKCupid news, when you look at a person's profile, it lists a percentage that, by the site's mysterious algorithms, you would be that person's "match," "friend," or "enemy." I logged back on to the site because through a series of texts with T (yes, from Thunder) today, he mentioned I should look him up there. And I did. And I have the highest compatibility rating I've seen with him. Which I think is hilarious. Also, I enjoy that he texts almost as much as I do. (And all of this is NOT creepy cyber-stalking cause he started it by searching out some of my published writing that I didn't know was still posted and commenting about it. And he gave me his OKCupid name.) I really like making new friends. I wish I were a little better at it. But I'm getting there.

And now I should sleep. Night, all.

6 comments:

Essin' Em said...

why are we not OKcupid friends?

I've had a profile on there for like 5 years. I haven't logged in to it in a while...off to do it now.

cctigeress06 (don't laugh)

Jake said...

I quite like OkCupid, I've met some very interesting girls on there. Nothing physical has come of it, yet, but I have plans to change that when I go back to University and am closer to said interesting people.

Sexual Adventurer said...

I love OkCupid. I didn't use it much the first couple years I was on it, but over the last year I've met some really awesome people, as friends and for sex. Sometimes both.

Don't knock their matching system too much. Some of my favorite people I'm ranked quite highly with.

Sasha Sappho said...

I wasn't mocking their matching system, so much as I was mocking the note I got from that particular user. The little I've used it, I've enjoyed it. And the few people I know in person who are on the site, the matching does seem pretty accurate.
Thanks for reading!

Jake said...

Haha yeah, I think its safe to say that for anyone to have fun on that site they do need to write messages a little bit more developed than the one you cited!

Amalthea said...

LOL, that reminds me of why I don't use yahoomessenger anymore. For some reason I kept getting random messages from foot fetishists! I do have some pretty phenomenal toes, but I don't feel passionately about them. :D